Imagine the never ending stream of goods and merchandise to be transited through Brussels.
To handle this flow, a new port was urgently needed.
Tour & Taxis appeared to be the ideal location for the city majors: right next to the Canal, near the town centre and hardly urbanised at that time it was the site they choose to develop new maritime and railway facilities.
The site, inaugurated by king Leopold II in 1900, was tranformed into an ensemble of prestigious buildings in 10 years' time. They can still be admired today : The Royal Depot with its dependancies and the Maritime Station.
All this under the direction of the Belgian Railways who owned part of the grounds.The gigantic complex for custom clearance and storage of goods immediately became the central hub for transit of all the merchandise the city needed.
Today the buildings still testify in their architecture of this intense economic and industrial activity. In the sixties, when Tour & Taxis was at its zenith, more than 3.000 people worked on the site.
With the arrival of european customs it became obsolete, was gradually abandoned and finally sold.